Monday, February 9, 2009

WHEN do we develop our love our shoes?


I have recenly began to think about when a girl starts to develop a love of shoes. Is it something she is preconditioned to, in her genes or is something she learns and develops from fellow princesses as she gets older. I can remember the first time i was in awe of a pair of shoes. I was about 10 or 11 and my mother had bought these gorgeous black leather ankle boots. I loved them. I use to slip them on wishing they would fit me and strut (or should i say stumble) about her bedroom admiring myself in the mirror and wishing they fit me so I could wear them. Needless to say by the time I was able to wear them, they didnt fit. My adolesccent feet seemd to grow from a 6.5 (mum was a size 7) to 8 in one season so by the time winter came around the beloved boots did not fit me. I was so upset that those boots didnt get to grace my growing feet.


One my dear friends has a little girl 'Bella' who i am proud to say is a little princess who happens to be developing a love of shoes (she has just turned 3). As a member of the 'shoes are our religion club', i am inspired and proud of the fact that at the age of 3 she is starting to appreciate the beauty that is a shoe. I love hearing stories about her being very proud of her new sparkly slippers or her Xmas sandals that didnt want to take off. I feel a kinship to this beautiful little girl knowing that at such a long age she is growing to appreciate up us adult princesses, already know. Shoes are a religion.


But how early is too early for a little princess to learn, understand, appreciate and grow to love the 'shoe'? Is there such a thing as too early? Are all females destined to share this love for footwear as a form of bonding sisterhood that no man will ever understand? Instead of trying to answer all the questions, i say lets just enjoy it. it is what it is, dont over analyse, just LOVE them and pass that love onto the younger generations so we can continue to pass this wonderful tradition through the ages.

1 comment:

JoolzGirl said...

There is no such thing as 'too young' to enjoy shoes. I had a major crush on a pair of shiny black patent-leather maryjanes when I was a little girl, and my mother wouldn't let me have them. This has resulted in a life-long obsession with the style. And shoes in general. Why wasn't I allowed those maryjanes, when I was allowed to wear a pair of cork wedged strappy heels? I have a photo of me strutting about in those, a pair of socks, a necklace, and my underwear. Defintiely a Shoe Diva in the making!